Using File Scavenger®
A typical session requires four steps:
- Determine what to look for and select a scan mode
- In Look for, check the file extensions to search for. It is best to leave the default "*" for all files.
- Select a drive letter or disk number from Look In.
- Select an appropriate Scan Mode.
See File Scavenger Main Dialog for more details.
Scan the drive for files
Save the files
- Click Scan. Click Pause at any time if necessary. Later you can either resume or abort the scan.
- When the scan is complete, you can click on Tree View on the toolbar to display files in their parent folder in Windows Explorer style. Click on a heading banner to sort files by the corresponding column. Click on the filter icon on the right edge of a banner to display only files meeting the filter criteria such as name, size, date, etc.
- Click on the tab Step 2: Save.
- Select the files to save by checking the checkboxes on the left. In Tree View you can also select folders or the entire drive.
- Click Browse and choose a destination folder on another drive.
- Click Save.
- Open the recovered files in their respective application for validation.
- Do not dispose of or reformat the problem drive. Keep it until you are certain all files have been saved and validated.