Hardware and RAID configuration
Western Digital My Book Live Duo 2x3TB drives in a RAID 1 configuration.
The NAS went offline. After forcing the device back online, the user could not find the shared folder holding his data.
He tried to recover the data using File Scavenger® but most recover files did not retain the original name and could not be opened.
- For a RAID 1 (mirrored set) either of the drive could be used for data recovery.
- The drive contained four partitions. The largest partition hosted an ext4 volume holding the user data.
- The primary superblock of the ext4 volume was lost but the Group Descriptor Table (GDT) and the backup superblocks were still intact.
- More importantly, the root folder appeared to be valid.
- Manually computed the location and size of the ext4 volume. Created a new primary superblock.
- Fed the information to File Scavenger® and recovered the data.
Data was successfully recovered with the original filename and folder structure.